- Sept. 8: Organizational meeting of joint committee.
- Sept. 13: First hearing of joint committee.
- Oct. 14: Deadline for standing committees to forward their recommendations to joint committee.
- Nov. 23: Deadline for joint committee to vote on legislative proposals, with a 10-year deficit reduction goal of $1.5 trillion.
- Dec. 2: Deadline for joint committee to formally report proposals.
- Dec. 23: Deadline for House and Senate to vote on proposals, without amendment.
- Jan. 15, 2012: Deadline for enactment of at least $1.2 trillion in deficit reduction, or across-the-board spending cuts will be triggered.
- Jan. 2, 2013: If triggered, across-the-board cuts will take effect.
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
deficit committee timeline
here is timeline from Congressional Quarterly